Posts filed under ‘Alegro PCS’

Mobile lines reach 11.5 million, says regulator (Ecuador)

Ecuadorian telecoms authority Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (Suptel) has reported that, at the end of 2008, cellular connections in the country reached a total of 11.5 million, with market leader Conecel (Porta) recording 8.1 million users, followed by Movistar Ecuador with 3.1 million subscribers and Telecsa (Alegro) trailing with 303,000 active mobile SIMs. The operators reported that the majority of their mobile phone users remain on pre-paid tariffs: 88.57% at Porta, 84.88% of Movistar’s total base and 85.56% of Alegro customers. 

Wireless Industry News

Advertisements

February 9, 2009 at 19:05 Leave a comment

Three potential investors for Alegro (Ecuador)

Three telecoms operators have expressed interest in becoming the strategic partner of Ecuadorian state-owned mobile operator Telecsa (Alegro PCS), according to BNamericas quoting local newspaper El Telegrafo. The three potential investors are Venezuelan state-owned cellco Movilnet, Uruguay’s government-run telco Antel and Indonesian operator Telkom. According to the reports, selection of the partner will be concluded in 60-90 days, and is expected to inject capital to boost the mobile operator’s business in Ecuador, where it is positioned third in the subscriber market behind Mexican-backed Conecel (Porta) and Spanish-owned Movistar. Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa threatened earlier this month that if Alegro did not turn a profit within twelve months, it would be sold. According to previous press reports, the firm has reported USD200 million in losses since its creation.

Wireless Industry News

January 27, 2009 at 17:00 Leave a comment

Correa gives Telecsa a year to turn business around (Ecuador)

Bloomberg reports that Ecuador will sell state-owned mobile operator Telecsa (Alegro PCS) if losses at the company continue to mount up, President Rafael Correa said. The country’s third largest cellco by subscribers, which lost USD200 million last year, has twelve months to improve its results or it will be sold off to the private sector, Correa said during his regular Saturday radio and television address. ‘The lack of responsibility of some executives has to stop,’ the president warned, adding that ‘losses can’t continue indefinitely.’

Wireless Industry News

January 19, 2009 at 20:22 Leave a comment


Feeds

Email Newsletter

Recent Posts

Top Posts

September 2017
M T W T F S S
« May    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  

Categories